Monday, January 30, 2006

Weekend News




I hope everyone had a great weekend. My hubby had to work Friday night which is our normal "date night". We don't go out(no babysitter) and stay at home and watch a movie together and catch up on the weeks events.

This Friday instead of watching a movie alone I thought I'd amuse myself another way. I tried something I've been "dyeing" to do for a while.

I grabbed my skein of Knit Picks Paint your own Lace weight merino wool and Wilton icing colors and set to work. In my mind I invisioned a beautiful skein of merino lace in a black/Christmas red/Royal blue colorway. I had a great time, not as messy as I expected, hands were colored in pretty shades of pink and purples(still are). I got so excited I totally forgot about the gloves I had on the counter. It turned out very well, not at all what I expected in the colors, but I should have thought it would be alot like cake decorating and mixing colors.

My skein of black/red/blue I had invisioned is a very cute purples/pinks/baby blues which reminds me of my recently completed Lorna's Laces "Girly Stripes" socks. I had a great time and was up till 1 am finishing my masterpiece and am totally into the owning my own spinning wheel and dyeing my own yarns. Poor hubby, he was kinda hoping I'd be satisfied in just buying ready to dye wool and just doing the coloring. Ahh well, I will be making a trip the middle of February to Shuttleworks to pick out my new spinning wheel and tons of roving!!!
Here's a pic of the finished product, not as bright as pictured.


Since Robert worked on Friday I missed my Knit and Knatter group so I consoled myself by popping into the other LYS on Saturday and picked up a couple of skeins of Elizabeth Lavold Silky Wool in a gorgeous Teal to make my mother in law a lace scarf. This will be my first real attempt at a lace pattern. The sales clerk also twisted my rubber arm and I purchased a set of Pony Rosewood needles, I'm such a sucker!!

On the knitting front I figured out how to knit one sock on 2 circs, tried the magic loop again and for the life of me I cannot do it. The sock on 2 circs was very easy though and I have 3 inches left on the first sock. I'll be trying the 2 socks on 2 circs next. I got a bit done on hubby's sock, I'm ready to work the heel on his first sock and he seems to like the colorway and it fits(so far). If it turns out it's to small I can always wear them, hahaha. Pics to follow.

In the mail today I received my package from Toni at The Fold and in it was 2 small skeins of Citrine, 1 skein of Cotton Candy, Spring Fling and Hornestone. Gorgeous yarns, soo soft and all in girly colors, sorry boys, no socks for you with the STR!
Now to figure out what to make and which color to start with.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tammy said...

The STR is awesome, so soft. Which sock yarn did you buy? I noticed there was no name on your blog but it looks like you have some Fortissma, that is very nice to work with too. I'm looking forward to seeing what pattern you choose.
Thank you for the compliment, I'm having alot of fun and enjoying everyones blogs.

8:37 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home