Tuesday, August 30, 2005

New Projects


Started a shawl yesterday, well actually started it on Sunday, 5 times to be exact. My cast on was crap so finally on the 5th cast on I got it so it wasn't to loose or to tight, you would think after the 3rd I'd give up and give it a try later but nooo I'm a glutton for punishment. So got it going (at least 30 rows) and it is looking awesome and I dropped a stitch, this is also my first time doing lace type work. I couldn't find that stitch so ripped back another row and damned if I could get all the stitches back on right let alone make sure I had the exact number. I thought "this is an easy pattern I don't need any life lines, NOT!!!) So, 6th attempt at the shawl yesterday morning, couldn't get a decent cast on tried again yesterday afternoon and got it right. I am back to where I was when I ripped everything apart and I have to life lines in already! No way am I taking anymore chances with that one. This is my first time working with cotton and boy is it great, it is the Cantata Cotton Crepe DK by Fil Diamond Yarn and I'm using 7mm needles. I could get used to being a yarn snob, well maybe not, I love alot of the acrylics (oops, did I just say that) well I do, that is what I learned on and always thought natural fibres, wools and such were way to over priced so never made the attempt to purchase them or look at them. Now that I'm older I'm more than willing to try new things and have more cash (the husbands cash) to spend on my hobbies so what the heck. This shawl will be for our Aunt Margaret (husband's side) for Christmas. Here is a picture of the progress..

I also started another dishcloth, teacup design, I'd like to have 10 extra for Christmas for just in case gifts as well as a bookmark. The bookmark is with crochet cotton #10 and boy is that thin stuff to work with. I thought this would be a nice quick project, NOT. I wanted a little something to throw in with my dishcloths for the exchange, I may try the snowflake bookmark it's crocheted and looks a little quicker.


I also spoke to Rob's Aunt Margaret yesterday, she's in Powell River, BC and told her I was attempting socks, she makes the socks for the family at Christmas and birthdays. She was so excited she's sending me everyone's patterns, their likes and dislikes so I can get started right away, I should have them by Friday. When I decided to do socks I was just thinking a few pairs for myself a year and for my boys the husband doesn't care for wool socks and using some fun yarn ie: handpainted stuff from Opal, some batik or the Opal magic, all yarns I received last week. Me and my big mouth. One thing everyone should now I'm not a fast knitter, I can get small things done like dishcloths in an evening but I also have other hobbies as well as 3 kids, 2 are 3 and 4 not in school so I get side tracked sometimes. She can whip out a sweater within a week and that is an adult sweater, socks are done in a day, 2 if she's busy and she knits for for her 3 kids, 3 grandkids, our family of 5(Rob and I socks and the boys sweaters), Rob's parents(socks and sweaters), her brother and his family as well as his wifes friends and family(she gives them as gifts for Christmas and it is not just socks its sweaters too). I don't think I will be able to do that. Man I'm happy if I get a couple of scarves, mitts and hats done for my little guys a year.

This years FO's as of today are: 1-boa scarf for my sister, 1-ribbon scarf for my sister's birthday in October, 10 dishcloths, 20-6 inch squares(crochet), 3-12 inch squares(crochet), little christmas wreath ornament(did that this morning) and that's about it. On the needles- bookmark, dishcloth, shawl and my afghan and hopefully it will get done by Christmas, not a fat chance that will happen but one can hope. Well better go make supper before the boys start knawing on the furniture..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home